Tuesday 9 August 2005

Footy news

The defeated Australian cricket team, reduced in number as Brett Lee is still in hospital, roll into Manchester today. Now by coincidence there is a football game or two in the north west this evening - Everton are playing a European fixture for the first time since Kodak invented colour film and Trafford United are having a kickaround too - in fact three Americans are flying in specially for this game. In addition there are some great clubs and pubs in Manchester (a personal favourite is "The Pevril of The Peak").

So faced with this glory what are they going to do this evening? They are going to watch a Nationwide Conference team, Altrincham FC, play this evening! The reason is simply that the Alty Chairman is also the owner of the coach company that took the Aussies round during the ICC Champions Tour last year. He decided to drive that gig and got to know the players really well and they've kept in touch. Tonight they are to be guests of honour at Moss Lane for the pre-season friendly against Bangor City. Kick off is at 19:45 (BST) and as last season's average attendance was 665 with a high of just over a thousand I'd guess that anyone wanting to catch some high quality football played by real people with heart and gusto they'd be better placed avoiding Old Trafford and getting behind Alty.

11 careful considerations:

Nogbad said...

And now R5Live are following up on this by interviewing the Aussie players at Moss Lane!

Nogbad said...

Tsk! Someone has suggested that I focus too much on pubs! Can I just suggest that anyone with half a chance gets themselves over to Manchester city centre and finds the Pevril - it's a lovely boozer with a super story. Internally and externally it typifies the old Victorian public house, most of which have been lost to redevlopment or "refurbishment" - damn, I'm banging on about pubs again :-)

Wendy said...

This football stuff is killing me, I don't even watch real football here in America, let alone Soccer. I say, write MORE about pubs!

Nogbad said...

Okay dokey Wendy! I'll try! Have you looked at the stuff about The Mermaid on my web site? Follow the "Bishopsbourne" link on the blog and furtle from there.

BTW - what you call "football" isn't real whatever people around you say. The rest of the planet knows that football isn't played by blokes in motorcycle helmets!

Nogbad said...

Update! Alty won 5:0! Little 4, Lugsden 42, Thornley 70,76, Potts 83

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Nogbad said...

Getting bored with the spammers - I think I'll have to stop unsigned posts :-(

Nogbad said...

Sorry if anyone missed Mr Wilmott's spam but there ya go.

For anyone interested he offers cheap mortgages or ceiling fans or some other such which.

It upsets me to admit this but I hope his private parts fester and stay attached. Dirty spammers!

Wendy said...

I went to visit Mermaid. Very pretty little place. I'd love to go visit.

Rob said...

Time for a rousing chorus of Frank Sidebottom's "The Robins aren't bobbins" methinks. (That should confuse your colonial readers even more...)

Nogbad said...

Well I'm sure you'd be very welcome Endy and I'd certainloy but you a beer.

Hiya Rob - long time no see! On the back of last night's result I think it's clear that the Robins aren't bobbins :-)