Saturday 27 August 2005

"This shit is bananas"

A day or so ago someone wished me "Peace and hollaback" in the comments and left me stumped - what is this hollaback?? Being a resourceful sort of chap I've been off and done some research and I found this site. Now I can't speak for Mr Stacy's academic credentials, his qualifications aren't cited on the piece but he seems to understand the subject.
Oooh, this my shit, this my shit
Gwen repeats this four more times. She wants to make sure that we are well acquainted with her shit.
I'm sure all you dudes and dudettes will know what all this is about but I'm still somewhat bemused. As long as it isn't obscene - peace and hollaback at ya!

8 careful considerations:

Rob said...

Nigel - are you too young to remember Peter Cook and Dudley Moore's searing analysis of "Got My Mojo Workin'"? Priceless.

Nogbad said...

Hi Rob. Not too young but I'm not familiar with it - but people who know me tend to avoid asking what the worst job I've ever had is unless they want some classic "Derek & Clive" mentioning lobsters and the late Jayne Mansfield.

I think I'll have a furtle around and see if I can find the piece you are referring to - cheers!

Anonymous said...

Hollaback is short for "Holla Back Girl" by Gwen Stafani, which has been forced on anyone who has had the misfortune of accidently flipping past MTV in the last 6 months.

A holla back girl is defined as: 1) A girl suffering from lordosis, an abnormal forward curvature of the spine in the lumbar region.
As in: Damn, she's fucked up lookin' and walks funny. Must be a holla back girl.

OR:

2) A holla back girl is someone who will allow virtually anyone to give them chili-dogs, cleveland steamers, and hot carls upon request.
As in: Dude, did you know Michael and Chris gave that girl a double-chili-dog and a hot carl? She really is a holla back girl.

Just doing my part to educate the masses...

Nogbad said...

Okay so if I get this right it's either someone with a spinal deformity or someone who doesn't discriminate when offered junk food. Is this about right? If so I'm at a loss to understand why Ms Stefani might want to sing about either of these unfortunates or - worse yet - why anyone might use it as a salutation.

Many thanks Squid (can tell it's you rather than Wendy because you used a rude word whereas Wendy has far more couth :-))

bluefluff said...

You may find this site enriches your grasp of the profound significance of Gwen's lyric.

Nogbad said...

Well I read all 59 suggestions and I cannot claim to feel any better informed about being a "hollaback" but it reminded me that being prepubescent means that 35 is "old"!

Anonymous said...

I was just trying to give you a sample of what "that link" to the Urban dictionary had for you. I just posted definitions 14 and 16. Go back to that site and look up "hot carl" and "double-chili-dog" if you are curious enough.

Nogbad said...

Gosh Squid - I followed your advice. Thanks for not graphically describing what I thought were descriptions of food. I feel queasy now.