Friday 18 November 2005

I think we're losing

From Timothy Garton-Ash's piece in the Guardian:
The erosion of liberty. Four words sum up four years. Since the attacks of September 11 2001, we have seen an erosion of liberty in most established democracies. If he's still alive, Osama bin Laden must be laughing into his beard. For this is exactly what al-Qaida-type terrorists want: that democracies should overreact, reveal their "true" oppressive face, and therefore win more recruits to the suicide bombers' cause.
Of course we all know that this is typical left-wing liberal bleeding heart stuff. Everyone in the UK knows that if we ignore the "Prevention of Terrorism Act", the fact that we cannot hold a political demonstration near our elected representatives and that those same representatives wish to take powers to hold, without charge, "suspects" for 90 days then our liberties haven't been eroded at all! And although the Patriot Act in the US allows for the government having the power to access your medical records, tax records, information about the books you buy or borrow without probable cause, and the power to break into your home and conduct secret searches without telling you for weeks, months, or indefinitely I'm sure it's all in the best interests of everyone..... unless they have dark skin and a beard (both of which I have).

Gotta go - someone is at the door..............

4 careful considerations:

Ang said...

Hey! If they haven't found me yet with all my comments, you should still be safe. ;)

Nogbad said...

Easier to find me - only a little country this one ya know :-)

Anonymous said...

The combine found me last week. Hovered outside my office window in a big orange nosed green, brown and black helicopter they did. I knew it was a mistake bringing my buggy down into the congestion charging zone; I've been identified I'm sure.

The swines probably put another machine in my head with their radio dish. Yes, they have. This one tries to make me say nice things about good old funny uncle Tony Blair with his nice magic tricks and pulling rabbits out of hats at children's parties. Butter wouldn't melt in his mouth, right? Especially Werther's original butter candies. I've lined my flat cap with tin foil AND chicken mesh, so I should be OK tonight.

Echomouse said...

I agree with you. We're losing. I keep remembering those futuristic movies, where many lived underground, police ruled viciously, and the world was a nightmare. I'm afraid that's where we're headed. I hope not, but I do worry about it.