Thursday 5 January 2006

Booze again

It seems like the most credible bloke to lead a political party in this country for a while has been hounded because he has a drink problem. Nick Robinson, BBC telly blokey, has the story on his blog and identifies times when Charlie denied a problem with drink. I'm no expert but I thought that most people with a booze problem spend a long time denying it to themselves so it hardly seems earth shattering that he didn't admit it live on TV! One of the comments on there makes the very valid point that a surgeon who drinks is dangerous, a politician who drinks isn't (in fact I'd think that a few bracers might actually cheer some of them up!). I'm sure the tabloids will have a field day with this and however he faces it in public the guy is going to feel kicked about a bit for a good while - a terrible shame.

10 careful considerations:

bluefluff said...

most people with a booze problem spend a long time denying it to themselves so it hardly seems earth shattering that he didn't admit it live on TV!

Exactly. Denial isn't dishonesty, it's the complete truth as the problem drinker sees it.Judgement is the first thing to go...

Echomouse said...

The amount of glee the public takes in kicking someone when they're down is very disheartening. It's as if the public thinks they're all saints.

Not that I'm in favour of alcoholism, but there are certainly worse things. And we all know, or should by now, that alcoholism is a disease.

Anonymous said...

I saw his speech. Damn fine one.

Nogbad said...

I think he had a gun to his head. It seems that a journo who used to work for him is now with ITN. she had a file detailing his drinking and had threatened to run it on the six o'clock news. Nasty, nasty business and Halle Berries wasn't on TV last night either!

Anonymous said...

I'll see if I can find you a Halle Berrie wobble-head doll to put on your TV.

Or a HalleBerrie hot water bottle cover.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
west coaster said...

"a politician who drinks isn't (dangerous"
Okay the scalpel isn't going to slip but a leading politician, or anyone else, with alcoholism should not be in a position of responsibility where good judgement is crucial. Charlie Kennedy is a fine man with an unfortunate and destructive illness. If he proves able to control this demon over a period of years then his party would be in a position to reassess the situation, but I tend to agree with the guy I heard on the radio this morning - At the moment he is one drink away from disaster. His mistake in my view is in trying to hang on. The Liberal Party should not be his priority, rather it should be his family coming first. He needs time out of the limelight and with his family and his support network.

Nogbad said...

I can't disagree that Kennedy would be best served spending time with his family but I'm struggling to think how the leader of the LibDems gets so close to the levers of power that having had a beer or suffering a hangover will cause major damage! Churchill famously drank a couple of bottles of Champagne and plenty of brandy or scotch every day while leading Britain during WW2 - again I'm not suggesting that this is an appropriate diet for everyone but I think it's appalling the way this guy is being treated by his party and the media.

Buggles Balham High Road said...

If Kennedy is truly an alcoholic as opposed to a heavy drinker then I do believe he shouldn't be leader of anything.

My first husband was an alcoholic and they will do anything to get that next drink at any cost. They lie, they cheat, they abuse and their only aim in life is getting that next drink.

I married him when I was eighteen and through our six years together I didn't know he was an alcoholic - that's how crafty and secretive they are.

But is he an alcoholic or simply a social drinker? Anyone who has lived with a true alcoholic will know exactly what I mean.

Nogbad said...

Hi Artemis - welcome!

Morning - so sorry to hear about your first husband. I wonder where the line is between a heavy drinker, binge drinker, alcoholic, etc? We seem to use these tags interchangably (or those who have an axe to grind do). I understand what you are saying about how those addicted to anything can be scheming and manipulative and I wonder whether people will be like that regardless of any other problems - I've certainly known some a*seholes who weren't boozers or junkies or hooked on anything except their own perceived self-worth. I suppose I'm suggesting that judging anyone's ability to be a good person shouldn't be related to something like this. If a bloke enjoys hacking people to bits with an axe as his main hobby then I'd be tempted to suggest that I don't want to spend time with them but drinking more than is healthy doesn't automatically mean they are a bad person in my book. I just hope Charles gets himself sorted and doesn't cause himself or his family any harm.