Friday 25 November 2005

George has gone

Sadly but inevitably George Best has died. Although nobody can be surprised by this there is still a sense of loss, I admit to having tears in my eyes as I write this. I've mention Best already and some of what he meant to me growing up during his time at United and his death feels like the loss of part of my past.

If I hear one more sanctimonious arschloch saying "He brought it on himself" or "What a waste of a liver" I think I'll sceam! We all die. Some a nice, tidy death in a nursing home and some a horrible death screaming at the inequity of it all. If your not being born you're busy dying. George made mistakes, we all do, and he probably had regrets but who doesn't? Nobody can doubt he lived a full life and crammed far more into his 59 years than many people who live a good deal longer.

Gone but not forgotten.

2 careful considerations:

Rob said...

Yes, couldn't agree more. It is such apity though, that he effectively wasted a good half dozen potentially great playing years. On the other hand, he did light up football for those few golden years in the mid to late sixties.
I still think Colin Bell was better in terms of what he gave to a team, though...

Anonymous said...

Sad. Let's all go out tonight and raise a glass to him.